Planning services

Planning in the Alpine Shire encompases strategic planning (town plans, re-zoning etc) and statutory planning (planning applications and objections).

Statutory Planning (planning permits)

The Victorian State Government recently announced a change in statutory planning fees. The new fees apply from 13 October 2016.

The Statutory Planning Department is responsible for the administration of controls of land use and development controls.

These controls are contained for the most part within the Alpine Planning Scheme and operate via a system of zoning and overlays.

The Alpine Planning Scheme indicates if a planning permit is required to change the use of land, or to construct a building or make other changes to land such as earth works.

Please note that as Council Planning Officers are available by phone after 1pm Monday to Friday, that all counter enquiries should be pre-booked by ringing (03) 5755 0555.

Contact the Council's Planning Department if you have an enquiry in relation to the Alpine Planning Scheme and the implication it has on any existing or proposed land use or development in the Shire.

A Council Planning Officer will advise when a planning permit is required, and provide guidance on the information required to be submitted.

The Council is particularly keen to encourage the submission of properly prepared, fully documented applications, and undertakes to reward those applications with a priority service.

The Planning Department can be contacted by telephone on (03) 5755 0555. See below for more information:

1. Planning Application Process
2. Applying for a Planning Permit - see below
3. Guidelines for Particular Uses/Development - see below
4. Dinner Plain Planning Provisions
5. Alpine Planning Scheme Online
6. Planning Information Certificate
7. Property information request, General enquiry, Confirmation whether or not a Planning Permit is required

Applying for a planning permit

If you intend to change the use of a building or land, construct a building, or carry out works a planning permit may be required.

To find out if you require a permit you will need to contact a Council Planning Officer, or refer to the Alpine Planning Scheme. There is more information below provided by the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning.

Planning Permit Application - Alpine Shire
Application to amend a Planning Permit - Alpine Shire
Application for extension of time to a Planning Permit

Guidelines for particular uses / development

Guidelines for planning applications relating to specific use and development proposals.

Construction of buildings in flood prone areas
General heritage guidelines

A guide to planning

The Department of Environment Land Water and Planning web site provides a wide range of information about the planning system. A detailed guide Using Victoria’s Planning System is found on this page, it is simply written but comprehensive and leads users through the necessary statutory procedures.

Strategic Planning and Major Projects

The Shire's Strategic Planning and Major Projects team enhances the organisation's ability to deliver the Council and community vision for the Alpine Shire through forward planning and implementation of major projects. They are responsible for monitoring and reviewing the strategic planning framework including strategies, policies and guidelines, co-ordination of amendments to the Alpine Planning Scheme; ensuring major strategies and projects are integrated across all Council services; Project Management and Urban and Landscape Design.

The Alpine Shire is committed to ensuring the initiatives of Council reflects the needs and desires of the community and consequently consultation is an integral part of all amendment and strategy development or review.

Further information regarding current Amendments, current major projects and council's strategies and Masterplans can be obtained through the following links:

1. Current Amendments
2. Current Major Projects

Bushfire Management Overlay

The Bushfire Management Overlay provides for three application pathways. The first applies to single dwellings within existing settlements zoned General Residential, Low Density Residential, Township or Rural Living. This pathway requires applicants to meet specified Approved Measures that encompass defendable space for bushfire protection, the determination of the building construction standard (Bushfire Attack Level), water supply and access. Applicants now have the ability to select their Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) for the dwelling depending on the amount of defendable space they are able to maintain surrounding the dwelling and may even reduce their BAL by one level (for example BAL 40 to BAL 29) if they provide a private bushfire shelter on the land.

The defendable space requirements are in line with Australian Standard AS3959:2009, Construction of buildings in bushfire prone areas. It is important that applicants using this pathway are aware of the application requirements and submit all of this with their application for a planning permit; this will help streamline the process and will lead to quicker decisions.

The second pathway relates to the construction of buildings, including dwellings that do not fall within the first pathway. This pathway requires an assessment of the siting options available on the property to ensure that the building minimises the loss of life and property as a result of bushfire. The defendable space areas required are slightly greater than those of a pathway one application and there is also requirements for onsite water supply and access.

The third pathway is applicable to subdivisions. It is extremely important that applicants firstly determine their defendable space requirements according to the Alpine Planning Scheme and then design the subdivision layout. This is critical as building envelopes need to be provided for each lot to ensure that a dwelling can be constructed on the proposed lots to either a BAL 19 or 29 construction standard – for 10 or more lots the requirement is a BAL 19 and for less than 10 lots the building envelope must be able to achieve a BAL 29 construction standard. In designing the subdivision layout applicants are reminded that where the property has an interface with a bushfire hazard, for example a State forest, National Park or riparian area of a river, that perimeter roads will be required. Perimeter roads in addition to defendable space in a front setback of a new lot is a best practice solution to providing defendable space to minimise the size of lots. A great feature of the Bushfire Management Overlay is the mandatory condition requiring Council to include a condition on a planning permit that exempts the need for future lot owners to obtain a planning permit for a dwelling on a lot created by a subdivision considered under the overlay; this means that a dwelling is "as of right" on the newly created lots.

There is a wealth of information available on the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure website,, and it is recommended that applicants read Practice Note 65 as it contains detailed instructions and examples of applications under the three pathways. Council is also in the process of updating the iPad application, BAL Plan, to provide onsite assistance to applicants including the production of plans and BAL for developments – please note that this application is an enterprise app and not available on the public app store.

Relevant bushfire planning provisions can be found here:

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by